An appointment is required to receive SAM Lab help online.
Appointments can be scheduled by visiting our online appointment booking page or by calling the SAM Lab. The allotted time for each online (or phone) appointment is 45 minutes. Appointments scheduled through the online booking system must be made at least 12 hours prior to the desired appointment start time. If online assistance is needed with less than 12 hours notice, just call the SAM Lab and a consultant can book one for you. When booking your appointment, please include the following information:
- The course number.
- The instructor's name.
- The specific question(s) you hope to dicuss.
Not only would this be unfair to other students, but we cannot guarantee that our recommendations meet your professor's specific requirements. However, we can answer specific questions pertaining to methodology/statistical analyses. For example, while you may not ask us whether you used the correct t-test in your assignment, you can ask us to explain the difference between independent and paired samples t-tests. We provide you with the tools; you choose how to use them.
Prior to your online appointment, please review the General Information, Step-by-Step Instructions for Online Appointments and Cancellation Policy sections provided below. Alternatively, you can download a PDF of our general information handout.
The SAM Lab, located on the ASU West Campus, provides assistance to students enrolled in Social & Behavioral Sciences programs and courses with an associated program or course fee. The SAM Lab’s primary goal is to help you better understand the concepts and principles covered in your statistics and research methods courses and become familiar with the tools and resources that you will need to complete various class assignments and projects.
The lab’s resources include computer workstations with a range of software programs for conducting quantitative and qualitative research across the social sciences, a team of graduate-level consultants with expertise in statistics and diverse research methods, state-ofthe-art technology for face-to-face and online tutoring/consulting sessions, equipment and a wide-format printer for data visualization, and a lending library for research projects.
The SAM Lab’s core mission is to help students enrolled in ground (in-person) and online courses. Please read the information below and call, email, or visit the SAM Lab website to learn more about how to get help.
When booking your appointment, please keep in mind that consultants CANNOT:
- look over completed assignments to make sure that your answers are all correct
- provide grading feedback
- proofread or edit a research paper
- analyze data for you
- answer statistics and research methods questions
- provide hands-on training with statistics and research software
- help you better understand specific concepts as you work on class assignments
- help you formulate a research question and clarify your research design
Online help sessions are conducted through Google Hangouts. All you need to do is install a required (free) plug-in and wait for a SAM Lab consultant to initiate a Hangout with you. Once in the Hangout, you will have the option of communicating through video, audio, or text chat.
Just follow these steps to get connected for your online appointment:
- Make sure you’re connected to the Internet.
- Download the (free) Google Hangouts plug-in from Google.
- Log in to the account for the email address that you entered when signing up for your appointment through the SAM Lab's online booking page. (A SAM Lab consultant will be sending the invitation to join the Google Hangout to this email address.)
- Wait for a Google Hangout invitation from the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org. When you see the invitation, be sure to hit "Accept." (The invitation will be in a window that appears on your screen (and not in an actual email message), but you must be logged into your email account in order to receive the invitation.)
- Once you accept the invitation, your online appointment will be under way!
To review our cancellation policy, click here.
If you still have questions, please visit our FAQ.