An appointment is required to receive SAM Lab help online.
Appointments can be scheduled by visiting our online appointment booking page or by calling the SAM Lab. The allotted time for each online (or phone) appointment is 45 minutes. Appointments scheduled through the online booking system must be made at least 12 hours prior to the desired appointment start time. If online assistance is needed with less than 12 hours notice, just call the SAM Lab and a consultant can book one for you. When booking your appointment, please include the following information:
- The course number.
- The instructor's name.
- The specific question(s) you hope to dicuss.
Not only would this be unfair to other students, but we cannot guarantee that our recommendations meet your professor's specific requirements. However, we can answer specific questions pertaining to methodology/statistical analyses. For example, while you may not ask us whether you used the correct t-test in your assignment, you can ask us to explain the difference between independent and paired samples t-tests. We provide you with the tools; you choose how to use them.
Prior to your online appointment, please review the step-by-step instructions for online appointments below as well as the SAM Lab General Information document for students.
Online help sessions are conducted through Google Hangouts. All you need to do is install a required (free) plug-in and wait for a SAM Lab consultant to initiate a Hangout with you. Once in the Hangout, you will have the option of communicating through video, audio, or text chat. Just follow these steps to get connected for your online appointment:
- Make sure you’re connected to the Internet.
- Download the (free) Google Hangouts plug-in from Google.
- Log in to the account for the email address that you entered when signing up for your appointment through the SAM Lab's online booking page. (A SAM Lab consultant will be sending the invitation to join the Google Hangout to this email address.)
- Wait for a Google Hangout invitation from the following address: email@example.com. When you see the invitation, be sure to hit "Accept." (The invitation will be in a window that appears on your screen (and not in an actual email message), but you must be logged into your email account in order to receive the invitation.)
- Once you accept the invitation, your online appointment will be under way!